a call

Live-In Care is one of the safest types of care during COVID-19. Find out more here

Looking for care?

020 3728 7577

Open Mon-Fri 8am-7pm, Sat-Sun 9am-5:30pm

Looking for a job?

+44 203 728 7570


Applying from overseas

Provided you are a fluent English speaker and eligible to work in the UK, you can apply to join us even if you live abroad. Many of our carers come from the EU, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, often balancing their work with time off in their home country.

We have representatives from The Good Care Group in many EU countries, so you can speak to someone local and find out all you need to know about working for us. They’ll be happy to help and answer any questions or concerns you have about working in the UK. We also run regular webinars on working as a live-in carer in the UK, you can find out more by visiting our Events page.

View our events

Is Live-in care really for you?

If you already have professional experience in a care home, hospital or home care environment, great! If you haven’t worked in care before, but have experience of caring for a family member or friend - we have a limited number of roles available, please contact the team for more information. Please note that it is important that you are fluent in speaking, reading and writing in English.

We require flexibility in terms of location placement which could be anywhere within England or Scotland. You will meet people from all walks of life, including academia, business, politics, the farming community and the world of the arts. This is a great opportunity to get the feel of the countryside or experience city life.

You will also experience, first hand, the dramatic changes in temperature as we move through Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter. When you are not working, the UK is the perfect launchpad from which to explore the UK and Europe. Take a look at the Easyjet, Ryanair, Jet2 or Eurostar websites to see where it’s possible to travel from the UK.

To see if you have what it takes to become a Professional Live-in Carer please email us a copy of your CV. You will find all of our contact details under the contact us section.

Skills & experience

Your application will be in the safe hands of our recruitment team who will make contact with you to learn more about your skills and experience to ensure that you have what it takes to join our team. If for any reason you don’t meet the benchmark we are keen to stay in touch whilst you continue to develop your skills and experience. You won’t be expected to travel to the UK for interview. We’ll use Skype or Facetime so that you can virtually meet our team before making a decision.

References & checks

If we think you would make a great addition to our team we will make you an offer, which is subject to us receiving your references, and successfully clearing the police checks for England (DBS), Scotland (PVG) and also your countries of residence. The administration and cost of the DBS and PVG checks are deducted from your first months’ salary. We recommend that you provide us with the checks from your countries of residence, although we can administer these for you if required. Where we undertake checks on your countries of residence we will fund half of the cost which is deducted from your first months’ pay. We also request two written and two verbal references.


You will then be invited to join our 5-day induction programme which will be held in London. Alternatively we run an induction course from Spain once a month. Whilst we aim to advise you of your placement details during the induction, we may need you to initially undertake a temporary placement when your training is complete. Equally sometimes it may be necessary for you to join your placement as soon as possible post induction. Rest assured our scheduling team will be in close contact with you at all times during the placement process.

Our representatives around the world can support you with your application and answer any questions you might have about live-in care work in the UK. Please get in touch with them to start your application.

  • “My mother’s carer is fantastic and I am overwhelmed by her professionalism. I heard them laughing together – the first time I have heard my mother laugh in a very long time. Thank you so much, I really feel I can relax now.”

    Mrs P Lockheart

Some questions we're often asked...

Expand All     Collapse All

  • Are you still recruiting Professional Carers during the Coronavirus pandemic?

    With the current Covid-19 virus there is great demand for people to receive care in their own homes.  Now more than ever, it makes a huge difference to older people that they can stay in their own homes.  There is nowhere better.

    Our entire recruitment process can be carried out remotely from the comfort of your own home.  Our friendly recruitment team can organise an initial telephone interview with you.  If you are invited for a final face to face interview this can take place via a video call (Skype, WhatsApp, Google Hangouts or similar).

  • Is it safe to work as a live-in carer during the pandemic?

    Throughout the Coronavirus pandemic the safety, health and wellbeing of our professional care teams has been at the forefront of our response. We have proactively ensured that they have high levels of guidance and support to carry out their role safely, delivering quality care to our clients.  

    Given the nature of live-in care, the risks to our carers' health and safety in light of Coronavirus is significantly less than carers who provide care in a residential setting or for those providing domiciliary care.  Working with us means you will be working in one household only, looking after one client or at times a couple. Our carers are, in effect, isolating themselves with their clients for the duration of their rotas.  

    We have adapted our ways of working to ensure best practice in protecting our carers in line with latest Government guidance.  You can find more information on how we are supporting our carers here.

    If you have any further questions about working as a carer during the pandemic please call our recruitment team on 0203 728 7570 or email

  • How can I travel to placement during the Covid-19 outbreak?

    We would like to acknowledge the Prime Minister's briefing which announced stricter measures around the circumstances under which people can leave their homes.  It goes without saying that we are taking this guidance seriously, notwithstanding, Professional Carers remain key workers and need to be supported to get to placement.  We have issued a number of different letters to our Professional Carers to carry with them when travelling to and from placement as evidence that they are a key worker.

    Please be sure you are sensible whilst travelling to placement and that you are practising good social distancing (sit 2 metres from another passenger and practice robust hand washing).

  • I live overseas, can I still apply for a live-in care role?

    So long as you are eligible to work in the UK you can apply to work with us even if you live abroad.  However, it is important to bear in mind that there are currently restrictions on overseas travel due to the ongoing pandemic.  It is advisable to check if there are any travel restrictions that would impact you travelling to and from your placement in the UK.  You can check up-to-date government advice here.

    We continue to welcome applications from EU, EEA or Swiss citizens who were resident in the UK on or before 31 December 2020. Anyone wishing to stay and work beyond 30 June 2021 is required to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme doing so will allow you to;

    • work in the UK
    • access the NHS
    • enrol in education or study in the UK
    • travel in and out of the UK
  • I live overseas, where will the interview be held?

    A member of our recruitment team will be able to carry out the formal interview either via Skype, Hangout, Facetime or WhatsApp.

  • Once I receive my offer what do I need to do?

    You will receive the initial offer and contract of employment via email from your recruiter. Once you have read the documents you will need to sign them with an e-signature. All you need to do is click on the box at the end of the document and type in your name, click send and the document will be returned to us automatically.

  • What pre-employment checks do you need to carry out?

    All offers of employment are subject to us carrying out checks on your background and character. Before you can attend our training we will need to contact your 2 most recent employers for a reference. Your recruiter will ask you to complete a form giving the contact details of 4 people we can contact for your references. It is important that you complete this as soon as possible so that we have plenty of time to contact your references. Any delay in us hearing back from your references will mean a delay in your training and your employment with us.

    Police checks

    We will need to carry out an enhanced police check (DBS) in the UK. This is a requirement for anybody working with vulnerable adults in the UK. You will be sent a “new employee form” asking for copies of your ID documents which will enable us to apply for your DBS. The cost of the DBS is £54, this will be deducted from your first salary. Whilst we apply for this as soon as possible, please be aware that the processing time for this check can be anything from 1 week – 1 month, or on rare occasions it can be longer. If you are working in Scotland we will also need to complete a PVG check for you.

    Overseas checks

    If you have lived outside of the UK for 6 months or more in the last 5 years you will need to apply for an overseas police clearance. You will need to organise and pay for this (the cost is normally minimal) and bring a copy of it with you to training. It is normally a case of going to your local police station and requesting the check in person, often they can complete it on the same day you apply.

  • What should I bring to training?
    • Passport / ID card
    • 2 proofs of address dated within the last 3 months
    • Driving licence (if you have one)
    • Overseas police clearance
    • Any nationally recognised UK training certificates
    • Proof of National insurance (if you have one)
  • What expenses will I incur during training?

    We will pay for your accommodation; breakfast and lunch will be provided so you just need to pay for your evening meal and cover any additional personal expenses. You will also need to pay for your travel to training, which will be reimbursed in accordance with our expenses policy.

  • Who is responsible for booking my flight?

    You will need to book your own flights. You should aim to book flights at least 4 weeks in advance to keep costs to a minimum.

  • Do I have to pay tax and national insurance through the UK system?

    Yes, TGCG will deduct these automatically from your pay each month. How do I apply for a national insurance number? You will need to apply for a national insurance number once you have been assigned to a client. If you have already been assigned to a client, you should be looking to make an appointment at the closest Job Centre to your client’s home. You should book this on handover day so you have a whole free day to do this. Please read below the steps to take in order to obtain your national insurance number easily:

    • Step 1: Please contact the Job Centre on +44 0345 600 0643
      Monday – Friday 8AM-6PM (UK Time) and arrange an appointment at the local job centre to where your client lives for the date of your handover day.
    • Step 2: Prepare documents for the interview with the Job Centre. After scheduling an EOI (Evidence of identity) interview, you will have to gather your documentation for the interview. This would include your right to work in the UK and proof of address. If you have any issues with the fixed UK address, explain to them your work situation and ask for advice. We can always look at registering you to our office address if needed.
    • Step 3: Wait for follow up if required. Assuming everything goes well in the interview and you are not invited back – you wait. This step usually takes a few weeks but sometimes months to receive your number and card by mail. Although you do nothing, this step can be the hardest because while you are waiting you are getting charged emergency tax, but please don’t panic, if you over pay tax HMRC will contact you and you will receive this money back. Once you have received your National Insurance number you will need to forward us a copy of the letter so we can put you on the right tax code.
  • What should I do if I don’t have a UK bank account?

    We can only pay into a UK bank account. If you wish to open a UK account then find out from the bank you have chosen what they require, we would be able to support you with this. We find that once you have an employment contract in the UK, this can often help. We are also happy to provide confirmation of employment if required - Please email if you require this.

  • Where will my client be based?

    We are a national company and support our clients throughout England, Scotland and the Isle of Man. This could be in cities, towns or villages. At TGCG we look to match you with an ongoing client based on your skills and experience and the client’s needs, likes and dislikes, rather than on location. We know that companionship works both ways and that the experience is best for both of you when we get this right. This does mean that you need to be flexible with traveling to your clients, but don’t worry, you can claim your UK travel expenses back.

  • Do you offer regular patterns of work?

    At TGCG we offer a variety of rota patterns and you can decide which pattern you would like commit to. We believe in shorter, more flexible rota patterns giving you the perfect balance between work and spending time at home; these include:

    • 2 weeks on 2 weeks off

    • 4 weeks on 2 weeks off

    • 2 weeks on 4 weeks off

    • 6 weeks on 2 weeks off

    • 2 weeks on 6 weeks off

    • 3 weeks on 3 weeks off

    • 4 weeks on 4 weeks off

  • Will I be employed by TGCG?

    Yes, we are a fully managed service which means that you have support from our experienced team of managers and care professionals 24/7. You are never left to cope alone at TGCG. We also pay directly into your UK bank account every month and manage all of your tax and national insurance contributions.

  • Will I be living with the client?

    A live-in carer lives in the customers’ home and is on hand for 22 out 24 hours each day that they are scheduled to work.

  • When do I take a break from being a live-in carer?

    We offer a broad range of rota’s shown below to suit your personal lifestyle, so that when you have time off you can maximise your personal time. The rota’s below are shown in weeks for example 6 – 2 is six weeks on and two weeks off.

    • 2 weeks on 2 weeks off

    • 4 weeks on 2 weeks off

    • 2 weeks on 4 weeks off

    • 6 weeks on 2 weeks off

    • 2 weeks on 6 weeks off

    • 3 weeks on 3 weeks off

    • 4 weeks on 4 weeks off

  • Am I employed by the client I’m caring for?

    You will be directly employed by TGCG, not the family. We recruit, train, assess and manage all of our carers.

  • Do you prepare care plans for clients?

    Yes, a care plan is written by your Care Manager during the assessment of each client, detailing medication, medical conditions and all assistance required for that person’s day-to-day care. And what’s more the plan is stored on an electronic portable device within each client’s home.

  • Do I need to be able to drive?

    It helps if you can drive as it means you can get out and about with your client, if their condition allows it. If the client still has a car we suggest that you are added to the family’s insurance policy. To drive, you’ll need a full UK driving licence.

  • What happens after training?

    Once you have completed the training the head office team will be working hard to make sure you are cleared for work. Normally you will return back home and we will let you know as soon as all of your checks are completed. Below is a list of the information we need to have before you are able to be matched with a client.

  • What if I can’t get a flight to the UK on change over day?

    You must call the service centre immediately.

  • What if I have my flight booked in advance and my client no longer needs care, or I am sent to another location?

    We will work with you to change your flight and support any administration costs.

Call now to speak to our recruitment team