Live-in care work requires dedication and commitment. Successful live-in home carers share characteristics which help them with the challenges they may face on assignment. They include compassion, respect, empathy, adaptability and resilience. With these attributes, carers can provide a dignified service to all clients, no matter their level of dependency.
As well as sharing The Good Care Group’s values of expertise, teamwork, trust, respect and professionalism, we look for people with the following:
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Good family cooking skills
- Ability to run a home and keep it clean
- Good physical fitness for tasks like carrying shopping, stairwork and client moving and handling
- Sound mental health, while working alone and unsupervised in isolated assignments
- Good personal hygiene and a tidy and appropriate dress sense
- Effective communication, observation and reporting skills
- An appreciation of people with care needs and the capacity to value them as individuals
- Confidence in washing, dressing and providing continence support
- The understanding to work with people from a range of backgrounds and to recognise their values, practices and customs
- Ability to fit in and respect a client’s lifestyle and home, as well as their right to choice, dignity, privacy and independence
- A kind, caring and sensitive approach with a demeanour suitable for our clients
- Capacity to empathise with the effects of losing ability and function whilst maximising the physical and mental potential of clients
- Organised, flexible and resilient with a sense of humour
- Ability to work on own initiative and to remain calm in difficult situations
- Willingness to undertake training
- Ability to recognise personal limitations and take action to prevent deterioration in working performance or escalation to a crisis situation
There’s nowhere better to train for the future. Our induction is market leading and confidence boosting. Whether you want to grow your skills as a professional live-in carer, gain expertise in complex needs or go on to become a care manager, we’ll help you achieve your goals.
If your application is successful, you’ll attend a five-day live-in care induction programme in London, with sessions led by industry specialists. You’ll learn live-in care skills, innovative techniques and the knowledge to help our clients continue to live well at home.
We invest in, and encourage, every employee to continually develop their skills and experience, providing a range of opportunities for professional enhancement. Additional training, ongoing supervision, coaching and mentoring are available to all our live-in carers.
We also offer free training webinars and workshops and support with attaining your Level 2 Diploma in Working in Care Services, covering the cost of the course.
We believe that maintaining a healthy balance between live-in care work and your personal life, helps you perform at your best. And when you perform at your best, you should get the best rewards. Our employment packages are industry-leading and offer a great range of benefits, including covering your travel expenses to and from placement in the UK, paid annual leave, 24/7 support and flexible rota patterns. The Good Care Group gives you the opportunity to take on live-in care assignments across the UK. Wherever you work, rest assured you will never be alone.
From the moment you’re introduced to a client, a dedicated management team will be on hand with help and advice, alongside a local carer support and buddy network.
If you’re new to professional care, we also offer a shadowing service that lets you learn from the best. And, as you can face challenges at any time, an emergency phone line is there if you need it, all day, every day.
There’s also a confidential employee assistance service, with counsellors providing 24/7 telephone support for any professional or personal issues you want to discuss. Our Consultant Admiral Nurse will also be there for you, offering support through any bereavement you may experience.
We’ll do everything we can to match you to a client based not only on your skills and experience but your personalities and interests too. We know that companionship works both ways and the experience is best for you when we get this right.
As a professional live-in carer for The Good Care Group, you’ll have the option of rotas to suit your lifestyle, with your breaks covered by a relief carer if required.
Your health, well-being and happiness are important to us. We’re rated ‘Outstanding’ by the CQC in England for the management and support we provide and ‘Excellent’ for quality of care and support by the Scotland Care Inspectorate.
There’s nowhere better to get the support you need and deserve. Everything you need is only ever a phone call or email away – and you can claim back the cost of all work-related calls from your mobile each month.
Part of your live-in care work will include managing client records electronically. We provide a lightweight laptop with every placement, so you’re constantly connected. A dedicated email address means you can receive regular updates, attend webinars and access 1-2-1 support, whenever you need it.