Latest Government report on dementia homecare published with help from Good Care Group
The Government’s latest report on elderly care, entitled ‘Dementia & Homecare: Driving Quality & Innovation’, was published yesterday by the UK Home Care Association (UKHCA), and included involvement and specialist input from the Good Care Group.
Report designed to deliver Challenge on Dementia 2020 initiative
The report, promoted by Prime Minister David Cameron as part of the Government’s ‘Challenge on Dementia 2020’ where it is cited, was commissioned to consider “key aspects of a ‘package’ of care and support for each person living with dementia at home, how it could be developed across the country and how it can be maintained as needs increase.”
The report highlights how highly-skilled homecare for those affected by dementia will form the basis of policy planning in future, with nine ‘actions for change’ outlined for implementation by care providers, commissioners, regulators and health sector partners.
Actions for change
The actions for change both reflect the performance of dementia care in its present form and suggest practical steps towards overall improvement. The recommendations are to:
1. Champion homecare as the key facilitator of dementia care and information.
2. Deliver a personalised approach focused on outcomes for the individual and their family.
3. Give greater flexibility for homecare providers to innovate and shape care with and for the individual.
4. Recognise and realise the value of homecare to reduce risk and lessen the negative impact of dementia progression.
5. Prioritise homecare as a cost effective form of intervention.
6. Ensure sufficient time to deliver the care people with dementia need, in the way they want.
7. Develop consistent and reliable homecare services and training.
8. Help providers to implement & experiment with technology.
9. Develop research on care, as well as cure.
Good Care Group’s contribution
Good Care Group were amongst a pool of specially selected contributors, alongside family carers, policy makers, homecare providers and dementia specialists, including the United Kingdom Homecare Association (UKHCA), National Association for Primary Carers (NAPC) and Health Education England (HEE).
Fiona Lowry, our CEO, commented: "The Good Care Group are very proud to have formed a part of the working party that created yesterday's published report on homecare for people living with dementia. Dominique Kent, Director of Operations and board member of the UKHCA, represented The Good Care Group alongside other homecare providers, people receiving care and the Alzheimer’s Society, to set out a vision for caring for people at home."