The Benefits of One-to-One Home Care
If you, your partner or a member of your family require care, there is a choice to be made between arranging relocation to a residential nursing or care home, or obtaining 24 hour care in the family home.
A general lack of public awareness regarding the viability of live-in care means that many people presume that moving into a residential care home is the best and most suitable option. Whilst many care homes provide support to residents 24 hours a day they can also be institutional, limiting your independence and the freedom to live your life as you choose.
Furthermore, the recent Live-in Home Care Information Survey revealed that 97% of people feel most comfortable in their own home and that more than 71% of us wish to remain in our own homes and continue to live independently after we reach the age of seventy-five. One-to-one home care makes this desire entirely possible, even if you are living with a debilitating condition or limited mobility.
A popular misconception is that 24 hour care is prohibitively expensive when compared to the costs of living in residential nursing home. In reality, the cost for providing each type of care is similar. Furthermore, in accordance with the UK government's 'Personalisation' framework, anyone deemed eligible to receive care from their local authority or the NHS is granted an allowance which can be used to obtain whichever form of care – residential or live-in – you or your loved one prefers.
Costs aside, 24 hour home care offers a number of substantial benefits over residential nursing home care, both for the care recipient and for their family.
One-to-one home care provides innumerable benefits, including:
- The maintenance of your independence and freedom to live life as you choose
- The comfort and security of living in familiar surroundings
- Avoidance of the potential stress of selling a family home
- The retention of your place in the local community among friends and neighbours
- The avoidance of separation from much-loved pets
- Continued enjoyment of your garden and gardening
- Relief from the burden of domestic chores such as cleaning, shopping and laundry
- The freedom to choose what you eat and when you eat, with meals prepared for you if you desire
- Provision of consistent care by a person who understands you and your individual needs
- Married couples and partners may continue to live together
- Total peace of mind, both for the care recipient and for their family
- A quality of one-to-one personal care and attention unrivalled by residential homes
- Complete continuity of care, even 24 hours a day
- Consistent companionship
- The facility for relatives and friends to visit you or your loved one at any time
- The elimination of stress, vulnerability, loneliness and insecurity for whoever is being cared for
- An immediate and appropriate response to medical or other emergencies such as falls or accidents in the home
- Increased general wellbeing
Many people, faced with the realisation that they can no longer fully look after themselves without additional care and support, assume that they will have to give up the home and lifestyle to which they have become accustomed. This is simply not the case.
Whilst every circumstance is different and residential care may be suitable for some it should be recognised that quality one-to-one 24 hour home care is a perfectly viable and affordable alternative, and a preferential option for the majority of people who wish to stay in their own home, maintain their independence and enjoy the freedom to continue their preferred lifestyle.
Find out more about the one-to-one 24 hour home care services provided by the award-winning Good Care Group here. Alternatively, to speak to someone about your home care requirements please call 0203 728 7577.